Light Boston, Inc. is a not-for-profit, citizens’ advocacy group, whose goal is to enhance Boston’s urban environment by advocating for appropriate exterior lighting. The City of Boston is rich with architecturally and historically significant public and private buildings, numerous monuments and parks, and lively streetscapes. However, many parts of the City lack proper illumination at night.
Appropriate and environmentally-friendly exterior illumination is an effective urban planning tool to:
- Enhance residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of the social and aesthetic quality of the City,
- Improve the aesthetics and urban legibility of the City
- Increase public safety
- Contribute positively to the City’s economic vitality
Our goals are to:
- Educate – Providing educational seminars for public and private organizations on the use of aesthetically-pleasing and environmentally-conscious lighting technologies.
- Advocate – Working with the City and private funders to encourage illumination projects.
- Illuminate – Working with the private organizations to help design enhanced lighting of their properties.
Through education and advocacy, Light Boston strives to create an environment where illumination is defined as a vital component of urban design. Ultimately, this will lead to better interest, understanding, and appreciation of the city’s unique historic and cultural heritage.
Light Boston is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation, supported by private contributions and project-specific public support. Please visit our Donation page to help support our efforts.